POSITION: Medical Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Back Office
REPORTS TO: Practice Administrator
Job Summary: Responsible for assisting the physicians with patient care including taking vital signs, obtaining history and chief complaint; assisting with select surgery procedures. Other responsibilities include patient education on treatment plans and medication, nursing procedures, such as suture removal, dressing changes, tissue expander expansion, reconstitution/preparation of Botox and other injectables, and completion of surgery requisition documents.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Escorts patients to exam rooms in order of appointment times. Obtains short history and vital signs as required by patient’s chief complaint. Obtains or updates medication list if necessary. Sets up exam room according to scheduled procedure or anticipate physicians needs if non-scheduled procedure is likely.
- Assists physician with surgical procedures
- Educates patient as required after physician establishes the treatment plan. Ensures that the patient understands the treatment plan, understands the proper use of their medications (or skin care regimen) , and understands their responsibility for compliance with the treatment plan prior to leaving the office.
- Straightens and cleans exam rooms after patient visits.
- Performs nursing procedures such as suture removal, dressing changes, without direct physician supervision.
- Completely and correctly fills out all required surgery requisition documents for patients as required by physician. Provides clinical staff with all completed documents for data entry into practice management system.
- Return patient phone calls in a timely manner.
- Stocks all exam rooms.
- Performs all duties related to medical instrument cleaning and sterilization.
- Notifies administrative staff of supplies needed to avoid shortages.
- Performs other duties and tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma; college degree preferred.
- Five years of experience in a medical office working as a medical assistant.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good understanding of skin anatomy.
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Well-organized with attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Empathetic with patient needs and concerns.
- Ability to work well with physicians, anticipating their needs in regard to patient treatment.
- Phlebotomy: 5 years
- Medical Assistant: 5 years
- City Atlanta